Monday, February 21, 2005

 

Dealing with Churches

Todd Rhoades of Leadership Network at his blog "Monday Morning Insight" posts on a John Duncan article "Six Reason People Leave Your Church" (HT: SmartChristian) It is an interesting and very practical read.

When I read such things though my mind always drives back to the fact that if the church is reflecting Christ, and Christ by definition is attractive, then where is the church failing to reflect Christ.

So for example, one of the reasons listed is Poor Leadership. The author says this
Since I was their leader, they pointed a finger at me. I had only served the church for six months, but I tried to cure the church with my own diagnosis and prescription. I did not listen to my people. I attempted to solve the dilemmas on my own. The result? Members left the church.
Wise words, but I think a deeper look is called for. I love this piece from John Piper. Piper discusses "Marks of a Spiritual Leader." I especially love this mark:
Meditate On and Pray Over His Word

But how shall we sinners come to have this kind of confidence in God? Romans 10:17 says, "Faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes by the preaching of Christ." And Psalm 119:18 says, "Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law." These two texts together show us that faith in God is rooted in God's Word. When we hear God's Word, especially the preaching of Christ in whom all the promises of God have their yes, we are moved to trust him, but this does not happen automatically. We must pray that our eyes be open to the true significance of the Word of God in Scripture. So the spiritual leader must be a person who meditates on the Word of God and who prays for spiritual illumination. Otherwise, his faith will grow weak and his love will languish and no one will be moved to glorify God because of him.
When I fail as a Christian leader, in my congregation, in life in general, or with this blog, the first thing I do is turn to the Word. I ask God to transform me and to fill me.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory