Friday, February 25, 2005

 

Now HERE Is A Trend

Boy, in the last couple of days there seems to be a plethora of postings on what I tend to call "self-help" Christianity. I first noted the trend when Le Sabot Post-Moderne provided this pointer to a post by Batesline.

Batesline makes a very cute, but very worthy breakdown of theology into Cat and Dog schools.
What's the difference between dog theology and cat theology?

A dog says: "You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me. You must be God."
A cat says: "You pet me, you feed me, you shelter me, you love me. I must be God."
But it doesn't stop there. Transforming Sermons and Stronger Church both gave pointers to this post from notes from the front lines.
But that's what bothers me about all the Purpose-Driven stuff and Joel Osteen. They've turned the Bible into a program -- worse, a self-help program. They've got us digging through Scriptures to see what we can get out of it for ourselves, what the Bible passages say about ourselves.
All of this stuff really speaks to me. I have been troubled about this trend for quite sometime.

When I discuss this with people deep into the trend, they tell me that we have to do what is necessary to attract people to the church. There's a problem though, people never seem to move past the "seeker" stage. Most of these posts relate the issue to missions. I can't disagree with that, but I wonder what else this trend says. Can we be sure that we have brought these people any eternal assurance? I can't answer that, but I sure do wonder about it.

I love the Westminster Shorter Catechism
Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?
A. Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.
It is not about us, it IS about God.

UPDATE Right after I put this post up, I mean RIGHT after, I went to Adrian Warnock, who provided this pointer to an article by Charles G. Finney.
How To Preach Without Converting Anybody

Preach on every doctrine that centers the attention on man rather than Jesus. Teach every doctrine that makes man the center of God's attention rather than God the center of man's devotion. Tell people only what God will do for them.
The Trend Continues.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory