Friday, February 18, 2005

 

Pollution...

PART ONE

You have to love environmental activists -- they have such a sense of proportion and morality. See this piece from the Times of London. A Little About Everything comments on the story as well.

I shared some hotel space with Greenpeace some years ago when I was in Kiev, Urkraine, visiting Chernobyl. They are a lovely bunch. That was when I was learning about Russian drinking habits. One very late night when I returned back to my hotel after a 40th birthday celebration and lesson in Russian habits, several of us designated the Greenpeace van as our territory. Perhaps the most finest political statement I have ever made.

PART TWO

From Yahoo News comes this piece about a coral atoll that could disappear if sea level continues to rise? Not hardly -- The article quotes sea level rising at a rate of 0.08 in/year. If we accept the figure for the atoll of 6.5 feet above sea level, then it will be 975 years before the island sinks, Don't you think all the ice will have melted long before that?

But wait there is more. Why does ice float? Because it is less dense than water, that's why. That means that when ice floating in the ocean melts, sea level should decrease not increase. You know the polar ice cap at the North Pole -- that is just a floating island of ice -- no land. Same for the Antarctic Ice Shelf, though not the continent itself, Not as simple as you thought - huh?

Finally, there is this piece from WSJ this morning. Can you say agenda science? Boy I sure can.

PART THREE

I am not in expert in animal speciation, but this article makes me wonder. As best as I can tell, we are making finer and finer distinctions about species. No longer is a squirrel a squirrel. If the ear tufts on this one are an average of 0.012 inches longer than on this one, they are different species. In other words we are moving, as best as I can tell, from micro-evolution to nano-evolution. Thus, if I have some piece of land that I want preserved for my use, but I am too cheap to buy it, I just distinguish a species and the ESA takes care of the rest. Hmmmmmm.......

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory