Tuesday, February 15, 2005

 

Preach on, Preach on

I miss preaching. I mean I really miss it. I hear a lot of sermons anymore, but very little preaching. I am not a pastor, so needless to say, I do not have a pulpit. I am; however, an elder in the Presbyterian church, which means I do function as a liturgist and scripture reader from time-to-time. I am a pretty straightforward scripture reader, it's the preacher's job to set-up and break-down the scripture, It's mine to read it.

Liturgy is another thing. Liturgy is less and less common. I think that is because of ignorance; people do not know, and are not taught, the purpose of the liturgical order, and therefore simply assume it to be form without substance. Therefore, when I am serving as liturgist, with the very brief moments I have, I attempt to say to the congregation, "Listen, this is important, here's why." This usually takes the form of a one to five sentence introduction to the congregational prayer of confession. -- that's all the time I have.

What is amazing, and sad, is that I have people tell me that my brief comments are more meaningful to them than the sermon. People hunger for God's Word. Why don't we give it to them?

I cannot begin to know the answer to that question. I think it has something to do with some of the things I discussed about transformation. But I think there is more. Of course, the answer to why questions is as varied as the people trying to answer it, and I am not going to attempt to guess at people's motivations.

We can; however, teach people both how to preach and how to listen to preaching. As the Simple Gospel discussion has continued, Adrian Warnock has been a great guide on preaching that same Gospel. He quotes Charles Spurgeon about speaking truth with tenderness. Adrian again quotes Spurgeon about preaching with passion and force. Milton Stanley at Transforming Sermons chimes in with an "AMEN" to both sentiments. Finally Adrian points to a great resource, 9Marks and its defense of and resources for expositional preaching.

A tender but forceful, simple gospel -- that is quite a challenge. I think it calls for several things on the part of the preacher.

First, the preacher must be relational -- that means he must be about the business of meeting greeting, and BEFRIENDING his flock. A friend can say things to me without offense that if said by a stranger would only anger me. As Adrian quotes Spurgeon:
Now, if I have to tell anyone certain unpalatable truths which it is necessary that he should know if his soul is to be saved, it is a stern necessity for me to be faithful to him; yet I will try so to deliver my message that he shall not be offended at it.
Friendship bestows on a relationship a much higher level of faithfulness than is possible for strangers. It must be a genuine friendship as well. Glad-handing will not do. It is much harder to be cruel to a friend than it is to a stranger or even an acquaintance. Relationship is the source of tenderness.

Secondly, the preacher must not let his studies divorce him from the commonplace. In my field, science, engineers -- those that build things, consistently make fun of scientists because the lab guys do not have any idea how things work in the "real world." The lab guys are incredibly brilliant people, but often goofy. It has been my pleasure to meet two Nobel laureates in Chemistry in my life. One of them was required to have the local police follow him home at night because he so frequently got lost! Preachers cannot afford to get lost on the way home. Being attached to the commonplace is the source of simplicity.

Finally, I think a preacher must be devotional. I am not talking about studying here -- I am talking about devotion. This is not learning the Word, this is adsorbing it, making it a part of the very fiber of your being. This is about prayer, about genuine conversation with the Almighty -- especially the listening part of that conversation. Devotion to God breeds the necessary force and passion for good preaching.

Some may think that since I am not a preacher, I have overstepped my boundaries here. They are entitled to their opinion. I am; however, a rabid consumer of preaching, and therefore should know a great deal about what makes it good and what doesn't. I love great preaching. I love a passionate and simple word from a friend. I am just doing what I can to get more of it.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory