Tuesday, February 22, 2005

 

Real Growth

Amy's Humble Musings picks up on a post from Desiring God, John Piper's great site discussing the importance of doctrine.

Both Piper and Amy pick up on the irony that George Barna, chief statistician of the church, is generating data about the importance of Biblical orthodoxy and doctrine. I agree with both of them, but feel the need to defend George Barna a little.

There is an old phrase, "You get what you measure." Barna has provided a measure of church success. I agree that this is troubling, how can you measure success, when success is the grace of God, and that by definition is limitless and immeasurable. I agree that Barna has been instrumental in turning the church in many avenues to a trend seeking, pew counting machine.

But having said that, George and I worshipped in the same congregation for a short period of time. I didn't really know him, but certainly know a lot about him. Like all of us, he is just a guy doing what he thinks God has called him to.

I think Amy and Piper's point is a great illustration of God's grace. God is using George's statistics to drive things in a good direction, even if it took a while to get there.

God's wisdom is way beyond ours. There have been more than a few times I have declared a Barna survey misguided, or even trash, in planning meetings. I don't see irony here, I see growth, and I prasie God for it.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory