Saturday, March 05, 2005

 

Church News

There are a couple of great posts out recently on church. I sometimes get so frustrated at church that it makes me really happy when I find people that seem to get it.

That certainly is the case with this post from Bill Streger.
Whether God gives us 100 people or 100,000 - may he give us the grace to say along with Paul, "I knew nothing while was among you except for Jesus Christ and him crucified."
Would that such was heard from every church across the land!

Then there is this piece from Challies. He is decrying the change in the role of 'pastor' as a possible source of many of the problems in the church today. I agree with his diagnosis, but I am not sure I agree with his cure.

Preaching the Word is indeed missing in much of what is happening in the church today, and it is indeed the source of many problems. That said I do not think the solution lies in stemming the tide of democratization that is changing the church. Rather I think it lies in demanding more of those that come into leadership.

Challies is right when he says, "I wonder if we are elevating the role of the laity or reducing the role of the clergy," but I think the answer to the problem lies not in somehow restoring the clergy, but in asking more of the laity.

We are all members so of the 'royal priesthood' (I Peter 2:9) -- we should act like it.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory