Wednesday, March 09, 2005

 

Do We Already Have The Answer?

On Monday I wondered about why Barbara Demick wrote the piece she did in last Thursday's LA Times, a propagandist puff piece about North Korea, and commented on Hugh Hewitt's email interview with her.

Hugh promised more answers from her on Monday and they have not appeared, I assume because she has yet to supply them to Hugh. This fact has caused me to wonder if she has not already answered my questions about why. This is the first thing she said to Hugh on Monday:
Hello. I still need to get permission from my keepers to appear on the program, but I suspect it will not be forthcoming. Sorry about that. (emphasis mine)
I assumed when I first read it that by "keepers," she meant her editors and publishers. But then it dawned on me, and particularly in light of the guarded nature of her other answers, that her "keepers" might be North Korean? I have been to places (the Soviet Union) where government permission was necessary to ever get on an international telephone connection, and then it was monitored. She may be very heavily censored, even life-threateningly so.

If that is the case she should, of course, leave the country. This would also raise a number of questions about whether she knew such would be case when she went there. Then there are questions about why the paper would publish anything so heavily censored. All I'm saying is we may already know more than we think we do, she may have told as best as she could.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory