Saturday, March 19, 2005

 

If Lileks Were A Soldier

In my blogroll I call James Lileks the best writer on the internet. Lileks can write about anything and make it interesting and enjoyable, but he better watch out -- someone is coming up on him.

This post from 365 and a Wake Up is what I am talking about. It's a great read all the way, but the pay off is fantastic:
Having arrived with a few minutes to spare I had the chance to strike a conversation with one of the Iraqis in the lobby. He spoke english with amazing fluency, and something about his accent seemed to be strangely familiar. Finally I asked him if he had spent time in the US and he smiled and handed me his California's drivers license. Here we were in a lobby in downtown Baghdad and the address on his license was a stones throw away from my childhood home! I made the mistake of assuming he was Iraqi and started to ask him if he had been here prior to Saddams downfall, but he politely waved the question away, puffed out his chest and said "I am Lebanese". Even a cursory glance would have conveyed the pride he felt in uttering those words. I asked him what he thought about what was happening in his country and he smiled once again, replying "these are days I will tell my sons, and their sons about". Sitting there in that small room nestled in the first outpost of democracy in the Middle East I had to smile. I think these will be these days I tell my sons, and their sons about.
Who will you tell about these days?

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory