Tuesday, March 01, 2005

 

Today's Terri Post

BlogsforTerri remains the best place to go for the latest news. Needless to say, the legal manuevering is fast and furious. I espeically like today's news where they are calling into question whether Terri's civil rights have been violated.

Go to Terri's Fight today and donate. Then do it again tomorrow.

Now, I just cannot let this post go by. (HT: Daou Report) Here is the money quote:
The operative question in this case: should Michael Schiavo's rights as a husband be reduced or eliminated because his wife's parents do not agree with his legal right to make medical decisions on her behalf? The point of view of some conservatives on this issue is, I believe, incorrectly predicated. While we may argue Terri Schiavo's right to live or die ad infinitum, the broader issue is being ignored; it is not our choice. While we do seemingly pay lip service to the vows of marriage as being sacred, when confronted with an issue of this nature, some of us are all too willing to cast the rights of the husband aside. Additionally, it is indeed an odd juxtaposition that in this case, we have conservatives who normally seek to limit the interference of government in the affairs of individuals, seeking in this case to have government intrude in an exceedingly egregious manner.
I am almost trembling with anger when I read that. The rights of a spouse carry with them an enormous responsibility as well. Among those are things like fidelity and and loyalty. The fact of the matter is, if Michael Schiavo acted at all like a husband, then this would not be much of an issue, now would it. I thought we had long ago left behind the era of wives as property -- but apparently not in the mind of "Pardon My English."
Eph 5:25-29 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her; 26 that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless. 28 So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; 29for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church...
No one, not even a spouse has the right to end another human being's life, and particularly not by starvation. Remember the story of Solomon and the two women that claimed motherhood over the baby? Solomon flushed out the real mother by threatening to cut the baby in half. The real mother would, of course, sacrifice the baby to the other woman rather than have it die. Would not a real husband sacrifice his wife to her parents in an instance like this rather that fight for her painful, agonizing death?

Of all the arguments I have heard for allowing this to happen, this is parhaps the most egregious. It unequivocally reduces Terri to property. That is just flat out ugly -- no check that, SINFUL. Speaking of the "husband," I like this post. This is a guy that understands what a husband is.

I am nowhere near as eloquent on this topic as I would like to be, my emotions are overwhelming me. God forbid I am ever in a situation like this, but if I am and I behave like Schiavo, you have my permission to find me, club me on the head, and hide me in a cave somewhere until a judge declares me dead or divorced. Please do not do that to Michael Schiavo -- I do not condone it, I am just making a point.

Pray for Terri -- please!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory