Thursday, April 07, 2005

 

Cathedrals I Have Enjoyed

Because of the post I did earlier in the week about what kind of cathedral building God has in mind for us in the current age, I got to thinking about the cathedrals I have visited. As architecture, they are truly amazing edifices. Just becasue I was thinking about it, I thought I'd share a few that I would recommend that if you have the opportunity, you visit.

Oldest. Saint Sophia, Kiev, Ukraine. Fascinating history.

Smallest. Saint Basil's, Red Square, Moscow, Russia. It is really tiny, Each dome is a very small chapel, each can only hold about 10 people staning. It is more fanciful in person than in photo.

Famous. Canterbury, Canterbury England. Chaucer wrote a book about going there for crying out loud. Well worth the visit, and I enjoyed it more than the London cathedrals.

Spectacular. St. Issac's, St. Petersburg, Russia. This is also the least reverant of any I have visited, but I have to tell you, the Tsars had way tooo much money, this thing is really over the top. Going back this summer and cannot wait to show my wife.

Favorite. St. Giles, Edinburgh, Scotland. This is the place where my denomination started. It was a bishop's seat for but a brief moment, but enough to qualify as a cathedral. I love the fact we took it from the Catholics and made it Presbyterian. The crown-like steeple dominates the Edinburgh skyline just after the castle, and I love looking at it, even on webcams today.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory