Saturday, April 16, 2005

 

A Discussion That I Really Hope Continues

I sure have enjoyed my on-going discussion with Adrain Warnock about the role of preaching in transformative faith. I like it even better now that friend Sheep's Crib has joined the discussion. Adrain also welcomes new Aussie blogger Unveiled Face to the discussion.

I want to turn to Sheep's Crib's recent entry into the fray:
Only two responses appear possible following a face-to-face encounter with the Living God, either abject rebellion or a crumbling grovel. The fear of God is that point where the hardened heart of the non-rebellious cracks and the Holy Spirit enters in a supernatural nano-second, transforming the man and saving the perishing.
I agree with that assessment. But here is where I struggle: many, many people I know that would be labeled by most as "good Christian people" have never experienced the "crumbling grovel." Many have confessed their sin on their knees, and sought the salvation of the Christ crucified and resurrected, but that brokenness that can come only from such a confrontation with God has not happened.

For me, it was that point in my life where there was literal "nothingness." If God were not real, there was nothing, no point, no meaning, no reason, NO LIFE. For me, this point came long after I had heard great preaching, and long after I had prayed the sinners prayer. It also came at a time when all in the world that called upon the name of God deserted me -- no church, no fellowship, no liturgy, no hymn. I was left with only God, or with nothing at all.

Prior to that point, I had intellectual ascent to the truth of the gospel, but I did not have a true and abiding relationship with He who that truth was about. As I have said all along. Preaching starts this amazing and miraculous journey, but the first step does not reach the destination.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory