Monday, April 25, 2005

 

How and What Would You Teach

Mere Orthodoxy examines a post from Pseudo Polymath concerning education. I pretty much agree with Mere-O who states that education should be about truth, not just "skills" as PP describes them. However, I think the should be so careful thought about the language used.

My father insisted that I get a "skills-based" higher education, at least if he was paying for it. That is to say, I had to get an undergrad degree that would result in my qualification for productive employment, as opposed to some degrees that make you smarter but not necessarily gainfully employable.

While not as well read or literary as some of my Mere-O brethren, I think I can hold my own, and I have done it not on the basis of the university, but on my own. Even a chemist can learn to read. I will forever cherish my dad's advice (actually it was a little stronger than advice) and I pass it on to all who ask.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory