Tuesday, April 19, 2005

 

How To Be A Christian In Politics

21st Century Reformation posted on a post from Through The Glass Darkly about why he does not blog politics. Quote 21CR:
The above post emphasizes that Christians need to remain humble and civil in all political discourse. This is my reluctance. Politics is simply not very gracious and to me spirituality is so much about being humble and gracious.
I can't argue with the spiritual reality of being humble and gracious, but I wonder what that really means. Jesus called religious authorities "vipers," never denied who He was, and made a mess of the Temple courtyard. I think being "humble and gracious," at least according to the Lord's example, may include quite a bit of behavior that we do not normally associate with those words.

UPDATE 8:05AM

Just feel a need to add some comments to this. I think I probably agree with Brad in the sens that the church should not be involved directly in politics, but Christians really, really should. Particluarly in a nation like ours where public participation is the grass roots of political action. As a pastor, Brad speaks for the church, so I understand his reticence, but I think a pastor can, if they work at it, make it clear when they speak for the church and when they speak as an individual, and they too should, as individuals, participate in the poolitical process.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory