Monday, April 18, 2005

 

Learning From The Past

Dadmanly tackles David McCullough's recent Hillsdale College address as reprinted in IMPRIMUS. Firstly, the post confirms that the men and women in our military really are our best and brightest.

More importantly, he draws on the speech, about the importance of knowing history, to draw inspiration. My favorite bit is when McCullough quotes a letter from Abigail Adams to John Quincy. McCullogh says this:
Now, keep in mind that this is being written to a little kid and listen to how different it is from how we talk to our children in our time. She?s talking as if to a grownup. She?s talking to someone whom they want to bring along quickly because there?s work to do and survival is essential
My wife and I are childless, so it is not my place to tell anyone how to parent. However, I like to think that if I were a parent, that description could be applied to me.

Thanks Dadmanly!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory