Tuesday, April 26, 2005

 

Men At Church

Sheep's Crib has a great examination of the issue of men and church. Namely that they are there less and less. I think John has a really interesting take on the subject, but I wonder if he is not overthinking it, at least a little.

When I was a kid there was "man-stuff" at church and there was "women stuff." Men were on ruling boards, taught, and cared for the physical property. Women managed the pitch-ins, ran the kitchen and had "circles." Now, women have invaded all the man-territory. (But I don't know any men going to the circles.) I have been on ruling boards with and without women and they are very different things. And as absolutely sexist as this will make me sound, I like them better without women. Not because I dislike women or think them inferior, simply because they organize and do things so utterly differently than men that what might be fun becomes a chore.

There have been a lot of efforts lately to reignite "Men's Ministries" in churches. Fine, enjoyable, but ultimately disatisfying. Men don't feel like they are men unless they, at least, think they are in charge. I doubt there is a wife in the world that does not instinctively understand that fact. When a man cannot feel like he is "in charge" he is likely to take his ball and go play somewhere else.

Men don't go to church much anymore because we let women into leadership and they have made it a "women's place." Men need "man places," and until the church supplies it to them, with at least the illusion of being in charge, they are likely to stay away.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory