Thursday, April 28, 2005

 

Mourn For The Lost

One of the things that really bothers me about BIG ministry is that it concentrates so much on churning people that it has no sense of mourning for those that they do not reach. They lose sight of the fact that those that leave, or never come might actually die, physically and spiritually.

That's why I loved Catez' latest recount of her street ministry at Allthings2all.
I asked her why she sniffs glue. She said it makes her feel warm inside. She meant spiritually warm - a way to block out the black hole of memories and experiences. When we left her I felt emotional. I struggled in my silent conversation with God. Here is a woman who is still an emotionally crippled child, expecting a child of her own. A child that may enter this world disabled and/or substance dependent. I felt quite helpless.
You ever here something like that from your nearest mega-barn pastor?

And this quote from Catez touches on another vitally important spiritual theme -- helplessness. It is precisely in that feeling that I most encounter God. (say....I AM a good Calvinst!) Not that I think God casues someone like that woman and her unborn child to suffer so for the sake of my spirituality, but I do know that God wants me helpless. He wants me in utter and total reliance on Him.

Interestingly, He often uses that sense of mourning to drive me to that place. The less I can help someone like that woman, the more I have to turn to God. Fortunately, He has enough grace for both of us. It is hard to cherish such "tough" emotional situations, but in retrospect, there are many of them that I do.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory