Friday, April 01, 2005

 

The Need For Guidance

Sure am seeing a lot of stories like this one lately.
BUFFALO, N.Y. ? A 15-year-old boy who had shown strong interest in the Columbine school shootings has been arrested for allegedly plotting to blow up his high school, authorities said Thursday.

The high school sophomore had assembled bomb-making materials including gunpowder and fuses...
Worse, of course, are the ones where the kids actually carry out their intentions as we saw last week. I don't question "What's wrong with these kids nowadays?" because if you think really hard, we all knew someone in our adolescent years that was kinda unhinged and if given the opportunity might so something really, really stupid. Most of us are slightly unhinged when adolescent anyway.

My question is "Where were the adults in this kid's life that would have steered him away from this sort of stuff?" I am not a parent, so I am not going to go judging anybody here, but when I was kid, I would get chastised for making comments about hurting someone, by parents, teachers, any adult in the local area.

This much I do now -- kids are not just smaller versions of adults, they need genuine guidance and direction, not just clothed and fed.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory