Monday, April 11, 2005

 

A Schiavo Round-Up

The Pope's death has rightfully sucked the air out of the news cycle for pretty much anything else. The new Pope will have much to say about the future of Christianity. However, I think the fallout from the great debate over Terri Schiavo's death will have a tremendous effect on this nation in a somewhat shorter term. So I want to keep looking at the issues.

MEDIA

Cheat Seeking Missles points to a Florida editorial that pokes "fun" at those that tried to save Terri's life. I fail to see where there was any humor.

A letter writer to the Milwaukee paper tells us "enough is enough." (Third item) "Valuable political and legal resources have been distracted by the Schiavo case, which had no business in the highest court in the land." I see, but the life of a snail darter in the Supreme Court , that IS worth the resources? Did you ever notice how papers use letters to make a point?

Off the Top battles the competing stories about Judge Greer's church membership or lack thereof. We wonder why there is so much debate on an issue like this -- even the papers don't get the facts.

I am greatly pleased by the role that the Internet and blogs played in the debate. This article examines that role, but once again fails to mention the magic word "blog."

CHURCH AND THEOLOGY

Hugh Hewitt examines the mystical connections between the death of Terri and the death of the Pope. I have no doubt the Holy Spirit is working mightily right now, but as usual, I just not sure what He is up to.

Radioblogger prints the transcript of an interview the aforementioned Hugh did with a Senator regarding judicial appointments and the role faith is playing in that discussion. Given the role judges had in the Terri case, that's about as important as a discussion can get.

Sheep's Crib urges us to stand on our faith. His reminder is most important when we feel like we "lost."

POLITICS

I have heard this over and over:
In Schiavo case, politicians have managed to make a tragic situation much worse
Hogwash. Our government and politicians intercede in life and death matters all the time, all of them tragic. Anyone who does not think an abortion is tragic, regardless of circumstances or justification, is just sick. The same here. All the politicians did was try and mitigate some tragedy.

There were a couple of good pieces looking at the politics of the thing in general from USNews and NYTimes.

LEGAL

As best as I can tell, judges acted like judges have been acting in recent years in this case. I don't like it, and I think we need to take political steps to fix it. I definitely think there was cronyism, but that is pretty standard business. I do not think there was anything that rose to the level of actual corruption.

Some disagree
. (HT: C-POL) I'll let you read it and decide for yourself.

ETHICS

The confusion amazes me in this situation. This article calls for allowing euthanasia in Britain. But it calls for it for the dying. Terri was not dying.

Which brings me to the real point I want to make. The phrase I have heard uttered so many times is, "I would not want to live like that." I am not entirely sure I would either, but I know my wife would want me to. So, it seems to me that if I ever did reach such a state, to have left a living will that would instruct the ending of my life would be a pretty narcissistic action wouldn't it?

In all this stuff about the "right to choose one's death" is a complete lack of understanding that a life does not live in a vacuum, it affects so many other lives. This much I know, if you strip away all the discussion, Michael's hard fight to kill Terri was selfish, even if Terri really did want it, they simply shared the same consuming narcissism.

Yes, I have a right to chose a lot of things. But for the sake of those I love, I often set aside that right. Why is this any different?

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory