Tuesday, April 26, 2005

 

Things That Make You Ill

I am going to have to take a shower after I write this post. It seems that it has not been standard practice in the medical community to work to preserve the life of a child that survives an abortion. (Shudder...shudder) Now, the Bush administration is going to begin enforcement efforts based on a law that makes such efforts mandatory, as told here by the SFChronicle and here by the NYTimes.

Performing or having an abortion is something that makes me uncomfortable to think about, but to take part in such a procedure and have the child emerge alive and then to allow it, or cause it, to die is simply beyond my comprehension.

But if that is not enough for you, check out this Scotwise post.
A 20-year-old Scottish woman is suing a hospital where she had an abortion in 2001 after one of her twins survived the operation.

Stacy Dow, who is raising her now three-year-old daughter Jayde with her parents, said yesterday she was seeking $616,000 to cover the costs of raising the child.
I read too many more stories like these and I am going to get really serious about starting an chain of orphanages across the country. Those institutions have fallen out of favor in the United States, but these two stories are the best reasons I have read in a long time to get them going again.

UPDATE 7:45AM

Some people might wonder why I say "orphanage" - after all, what's wrong with the foster care system? I don't think anyone wants to put a child in the foster care system, it is a large faceless government bureacracy, no doubt full of wonderful caring people, but a bureacracy regardless. Children are lost in it, we hear about it all the time.

An orphanage, while institutional, is smaller and private and with proper regulatory oversight probabaly would provide much better care than many foster homes. In the situations described above, perhaps lives could have been saved if there had been an obvious, less bureaucratic place to put the children.

I also have to say that I have been deeply in prayer since posting this originally, the soul sickness evidenced by these stories is heartbreaking and horrifying. It causes me near physical pain to contemplate such things, and it gravely concerns me that some can read it wothout being moved.

Dear God, help us.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory