Monday, April 04, 2005

 

Tributes To The Pope and Related Things

I am feeling a little guilty that I do not have a great, long, eloquent to post in tribute to the Pope. The fact of the matter is I think he was a great world leader, but not being a Catholic, there really is little else for me to say. Fortunately, lots of people have had great things to say about him, so I shall defer to them.

Actually I think the man wrote his own greatest epitaph, at least as quoted in this Sunday Times of London piece.
As the end approached, history's best travelled and third longest serving pontiff had urged his followers not to cry for him by dictating a message to his secretary.

"I am happy and you should be happy too," he said. "Do not weep. Let us pray together with joy."
That is a great Christian witness.

World leaders. most of whom can barely stand in the man's shadow have chimed in. This is a good overview and this is President Bush's statement.

U.S. News & World Report has a great recap of his life.

There are two blog tributes that I consider must reads. Texasbug has a post that simply lists quotes from the Pontiff. Condensed wisdom for all to enjoy. Fellow Warnie winner, Ales Rarus offers up some wonderful prayer in light of the Pope's passing.

Finally, while not a tribut of any sort, John Mark Reynolds (yet another Warnie winner) writes about the most irritating things we will hear from the press regarding the election of the new Pope. I think Dr. Reynolds is absolutely right, and I think the misconspetions he addresses says as much about society in general as the media.

UPDATE: Be sure and read this great tribute and rememberance from GEORGE WEIGEL in OpinionJournal.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory