Friday, April 15, 2005

 

Why Am I The Hypocrite?

I really hate it when I read a guy that makes a great theological point, but then leaves the rails when it gets practical. (HT: SmartChristian) In this case, Ron Sider in a Christianity Today interview.

Great Point:
The heart of the matter is the scandalous failure to live what we preach. The tragedy is that poll after poll by Gallup and Barna show that evangelicals live just like the world. Contrast that with what the New Testament says about what happens when people come to living faith in Christ. There's supposed to be radical transformation in the power of the Holy Spirit.
Bad Practice:
I've always been concerned with a whole range of biblical things. My commitment is to be biblically faithful, not to pick out one issue. But a good bit of my writing has dealt with the social issues that have called evangelicals to be more engaged, for example, with questions of poverty here and abroad.
Why is it every liberal Christian brings up hunger and poverty to call conservative Christians "hypocrites?" I heard Jim Wallis make essentially the same point on the radio this week. Just because I do not back GOVERNMENT programs to end hunger and poverty does not mean I do not have concern about them. I support and work in programs to end both in church. I am really tired of this kind of accusation.

Having said that, Sider does make some good points about the lack of difference between many that call themselves Christian and those that do not, things like pre-marital sex and divorce rates. Can't fault him on those points.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory