Friday, May 13, 2005

 

500 News

Well, practice at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is well underway for this month of May.

Attention Span has some great memories of Speedway days gone by. He is a little younger than I, but we have obviously covered a lot of the same territory at the track. And he finds a spiritual lesson in the telling as well.

When I think about some of the great names of bygone days, I know some of them are spinning in their graves at the thought that the fastest lap so far this month belongs to a woman. I have not seen Ms. Patrick turn a lap, so I have no idea if she is a good driver or not, but you don't get 227, even on an empty track, if you aren't smooth and can't hold the groove, which makes her better than anybody I was on the freeway with today.

I have a feeling that the days of Janet Guthrie just wanting to "make the show" and be "running at the finish" -- a fact that casued AJ Foyt to call her something along the lines of a "rolling roadblock" in her first race -- are far behind us.

Women drivers are old news now -- but a competitive woman driver is news. This could be an interesting May!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory