Friday, May 06, 2005

 

A Bit Of A Stretch

SmartChristian reports that long time Christian publisher Eerdmans is publishing a Mormon book. There is quite a debate in the comments.

I have to say I think it is premature to debate. Eerdmans is a publishing house, not the church. I personally think Mormonism is a highly cultic and errant form of Christianity, but far from the only one. I doubt this would be the first time that Eerdmans published something that was errant.

I think there are some key questions here -- How do they market the book? What does Mouw say in his foreward? (Knowing Dick, it will be a little too accepting for my taste.) IF Eerdmans claims that this book represents the Christian mainstream, then maybe there should be some pressure brought to bear so they start calling themselves a "religious" publisher instead of a "Christian" one. But if they publish the book without such a statement, well then I'm guessing they realize there are a lot of Mormons in the country and they represent a significant market segment.

Seems to me that if a publishing house was charged with maintaining doctrine, they'd quit charging for the books and rely on donations.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory