Saturday, May 14, 2005

 

Comic Art

Last week we looked at the effects of technology on comic book art. That post ended with a very pretty picture of Green Lantern and the Silver Surfer. The Surfer is a fan fave from Marvel. He originally appeared at Galactus' herald in some of the first Fantastic Four books done, but in that first story arc, he turned on Galactus and helped save the world. In response, Galactus limited the Surfer's power cosmic in a fashion that left him stranded on earth.

Drawn by Sal Buscema
There is nothing like fan adulation to bring a character to the forefront. The Surfer got his own magazine and in the process was able to slip free the bonds of earth and take to space once again

(I own this comic -- bought it new, worth a fortune - done by the Master and creator of the character -- Jack Kirby)
Surfer books in the US have come and gone, but he has been very popular in Europe. Consider this from the streets of what, based on the phone booth seen in the background, appears to be London

I have no idea who did this, but I'd like to have it.
With space as a backdrop the Surfer is one of the best looking characters out there. I don't know if it is the great poses enabled by the board or the stark contrast of the silver/white in the void of dark space, but The Silver Surfer is good looking, and one of the few characters I like painted.


UPDATE 10:00AM

Now I am a little sad. Here I have been slaving away every Saturday trying to introduce people to my love of comics. Of sure, I was aware there were other comic lovers out there, and I was aware Wallo World was one of them. But when evangelical biggie Evangelical Outpost decides to ask "experts" on things to post on his blog, and he decides to start with comics, does he turn to little 'ol me? -- NO! Actually, Bill put together a fine piece, but I have to take a little exception to his praise of "The Ulitmates." I agree that the writing on those books is great, but I am not a big fan of the art and in my opinion, in comics, the art has to come first -- it is after all, a visual medium.

There are a lot of books out there that look great with lousy stories -- I still love leafing through them and looking at the art. Some of the very well written ones, with moderate or bad art, sit for years between re-readings.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory