Friday, May 06, 2005

 

Free From The Law

Conrad Gempf posts on Romans 8. (HT: Transforming Sermons) I love this
Tell someone Christ has freed them from the Law and it's no biggie. For each of us, the Law of God -- like the speed limit, like copyright laws -- is something that applies to someone else, not me, because I'm a little different, I'm worth it. Tell someone Christ has freed them from the Law and it means nothing. But tell them Christ will free them from Murphy's Law and you've got their attention. How sad our state and how far down Christ stoops to pull us out of the waves.
If you ask me, he is slightly understating the case here - a lot of people think God's grace is a birthright. That fact scares me, really scares me.

Rather than argue this, I am just going to emote for a minute. Every morning I get to wake up and find my wife next to me. That is, without a doubt, one of the most wonderful sensations I have ever experienced. After 10 years, I am still amazed she loves me enough to be there every morning. I am such a schlub that I would not blame her one bit if she didn't bother one morning. And I am willing to bet you there is not a married man on the planet that, if honest with himself, wouldn't say the same thing.

Given how common an experience that is, how come we can't figure it out about God?

UPDATE 11:00AM

21st Century Reformation takes a similar look at Romans 8.
The early Christians refused to exercise any physical force but simply stood up heroically and proclaimed that Jesus was the true Lord and that freedom and liberty FROM SIN only came from Jesus. For this boldness, the Christians were killed.

I want you to think about this for just a second. As Paul proclaims Jesus as the Lord and true king with a mandate from God to deliver all mankind, he gives us the very personal story of Romans 7 and his personal struggle with sin.
Brad's thoughts relate to what the church corporate should be doing. I agree with his theological point entirely. When it comes to Christians being involved in politics and governance, I would remind you that in Rome revolution was the only option -- In America, political activism is a legitimate and encouraged activity. The church is not about political activism, but it's congregants, if they are good citizens, should be.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory