Sunday, May 15, 2005

 

Living Things

Last fall, the wife and I took a long weekend southern Utah. It was deer hunting season and that was THE Big News on the tube. I was somewhat refreshed, no wimps here -- they went out and killed and dressed what they ate.

That is why I was surprised when I read this article.
A biology class lesson in Gunnison, Utah involving the dissection of a live dog has outraged some parents and students, according to a report.

Biology teacher Doug Bjerregaard, who is a substitute teacher at Gunnison Valley High School, wanted his students to see how the digestive system of a dog worked.
OK, this is a little dramatic for a high school biology class, but it really is a valuable lesson.
"It just makes me sick and I don't think this should go on anywhere and nobody's learning from it," student Sierra Sears said.
Sierra is oviously not in the deer hunting crowd, anyone that has field dressed a deer knows what I am talking about. But here is the kicker
The dog used in the experiment was going to be euthanized despite the class project.
In other words, there was no needless killing here, no cruelty, the dog was anethetisized. We really need to grow up a little here. I can understand that this would be upsetting to some people to watch, but it is educational. This does not rise to the level of "news."

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory