Tuesday, June 28, 2005

 

Aging Churches

Cerulean Sanctum has been examining the business/church interface for a while now. His latest got Transforming Sermons attention -- and mine. I want to use the same money quote TS does, and another. First the one in common with TS
The "old is bad" meme has caught on even within God's Body. Churches preach that your appearance does not matter and that age means nothing--while at the same time they kick out the gray-haired worship pastor in favor of the trendy postmodern guy who loves Coldplay.
I have to be honest, I think CS aims well here, but still misses the essential point. Appearance isn't the issue in these cases, it's the perception that "the young are the future of the church." The media driven stuff that does this sort of falls into the background when you consider the real cost of ejecting the older:

I really like the second quote from the post

What we in the church tell the downsized and unemployed is a contradictory message, too. We say we'll stand by them, but then offer no help in finding them work.
Churches should be running ministries specifically to job-seekers. My father ran one for years, he helped people prepare resumes and CV's, he counselled them on interviewing technique, he networked them. Any church of any size ought to have such a ministry. My church is small enough that when I hear someone is out of work, I just go talk to them, but bigger churches need to organize something like that. I strongly recommend it.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory