Monday, June 13, 2005

 

TAG! - I'm It

At least if Catez at Allthings2all has anything to say about it. She has sent me a meme. As she said in the comments of one of my posts
Hello. This is your blog topic selector speaking. You have been TAGGED
What can I say -- I know an order when I hear one so, without further ado:

Total number of books owned, ever: Hard to count, particularly the discarded ones. Let's put it this way, when we remodeled the house a couple of years ago we built a library just for the books. We thought we left shelf space for the next 15 years of accumulation, but alas, we find the room shrinking far more rapidly than imagined. Now, if we included comic books -- those I have roughly 8,000, want to know years of publication? Author? Artist? Value?

Last book I bought: Still waiting for delivery - Selling Out the Church The Dangers of Church Marketing. Bought it because of this review. Actually sounds like they accumulated some of my blog posts, and "scholared them all up" --Yeah right, but every now and then I love being in the preached-to choir.

Last book I read: I have read several enjoyable, but insignificant, techno-thrillers on airplanes lately (Dale Brown and Larry Bond) but I don't know if they count when it is this hard to remember the plot when I just read them 3 weeks ago. Last book of substance - Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoevsky - Hey I'm going to Russia this summer, and I'm about three-quarters of the way through The Brothers Karamazov.

Five books that mean a lot to me: Oh Jeez!

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I know, 7 books, but deal with it.

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Rather ambitiously read it for the first time as a freshman in high school. Very formative in my thinking as a Christian.

Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry by Skoog and West. Laugh if you want at my inclusion of a college textbook, but it pulled me in like a great novel and gave me a career and a business. I'd say that counts as "meaning a lot to me." I still pull it off the shelf and read sections just for fun from time-to-time. Makes me one huge nerd, but that is a different issue altogether.

Paul's Epistle To The Romans by the Apostle Paul Technical violation? Perhaps, it's not really a book, it's a letter, and it's published in a much larger book, but I decided saying "the Bible" would be too cliche, and Romans really is where I have spent more time than any other book in the Bible, probably more time than any other document in my life - a statement which just hacked off all those "gospel firsters" out there.

California's Permit-By-Rule Handbook: A Guide To Compliance - because I wrote it. It has, in the 13 years since its publication sold slightly less than 100 copies, and given its highly technical and regulatory nature, reading it is a bit like scrubbing your eyes with steel wool. Nonetheless, I sweat bullets for many, many months to produce that thing - on Wordstar for crying out loud. I no longer have any pride in it at all -- too long with too little sales for pride to be a possibility, but when it comes to personal significance, nothing compares to writing a book, even a god-awful technical manual.

Well, there you have it, and now in accordance with the rules of this particular game of blog-tag, I need to tag 5 others -- here they are (in no particular order): John at Sheep's Crib, Rick at Holy Coast, Lowell at Hedgehog Blog, Dadmanly, and Mike at Eternal Perspectives. Looking forward to what these people have to say.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory