Tuesday, July 19, 2005

 

Forgiveness and Consequences

I really hate it when someone writes a post that I wished I had written, and they did it so well that I have nothing to add, all I can do is link and ooh and ahh. But Jollyblogger absolutely hit it out of the park with this goody.
But I want to press this matter in a slightly different direction and say that it is possible to extend forgiveness while enforcing relational consequences for offenses. Forgiveness and consequences shouldn't be seen as "either/or's" but "both/and's." Some think that if they enforce the relational consequences to an offense then forgiveness cannot be present. And the same goes in reverse - some think that if they forgive they may never enforce relational consequences....

... I think of the requirements for leaders in Titus 1 and I Timothy 3. In these are lists of requirements for those who would be leaders in the church. The one who sins in any of those areas, be it through drunkenness, violence, failure to lead the family or whatever may repent and enjoy all of the blessings and privileges of fellowship in the church. But he is not entitled to the privilege (and responsibility) of leadership. Hence, my point again is that forgiveness does not always necessiatate the restoration of privilege.
Amen, David, Amen. Follow the link -- read it all.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory