Tuesday, July 26, 2005

 

How Come This Has Not Generated More Discussion?

SmartChristian had what I found to be a fanscinating post last Sauturday. -- ADDRESSING "I FOLLOW" CHRISTIAN BLOGGING. Dr. AJ is reflecting on I Cor 1:10-16 and says in part:
We all need to allow Paul's words to the Corinthians help us reevaluate how we blog. If we are not careful, it is very easy for Christian bloggers to become "identified" by which Christian leaders or preachers or teachers they declare their allegiance.

Does your blog loudly and publicly declare "I follow John Piper, Brian McLaren, Jim Wallis, John MacArthur, or R.C. Sproul?" I could easily name others.
Dr. AJ then goes on to suggest 4 basic rules for blogging to avoid the kind of thing that I Corinthians addresses -- they all sound like good advice to me. This post is recommended reading.

Frankly, I am surprized this post has not generated more discussion. There are several comments I would have expected. For one, I will say that I have read all of the exampels he cites and blogged about something thay have all said. I resonate with Piper and Sproul pretty heavily, but I would never proclaim myself as "of" them, so I guess I am not guilty of the problem Dr. AJ discusses, or am I? Where is that line?

The second line of discussion I would expect would concerning "leading" bloggers. Most of the prevalent Christian bloggers have little mini-congregations -- daily commentors, regular readers, whatever you want to call them. At what point do those of us a little farther down the Blogdom list become synchophantic to the more prominent blogs?

What's the difference between being "of" and "inspiried by" a given leader/preacher/teacher? I have read more C.S. Lewis than any other author ever -- including in the technical field in which I am trained. Am I "of" Lewis? I would make no such claim, but when you have read as much of it as I have, you have to wonder.

Those questions laid out, there is one guideline I would add To Dr. AJ's original 4 -- Read Widely. If not blogs, then books. There is nothing wrong with having a favorite author, but read other authors. Whatever Christian author your read, read in light of Scripture. Bathe yourself in Scripture, make it so much a part of your being that weighing whatever you read against it is automatic. I am absolutely delighted whenever I read an author make a point and get to his/her supporting scripture before they do, or when I instantly think of scriptural refutation.

I think this is a very interesting discussion -- who influences you most? And how do you know it stops at influence?

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory