Tuesday, July 12, 2005

 

Proving The Maxim

G.K Chesterton (well sort of):
When a Man stops believing in God he doesn¹t then believe in nothing, he believes anything.
Proof:
On the bad days, I walk into the night pen just ahead of the horses, and the flies that have enveloped them suddenly envelop me. I swat them away, thinking all the while that it's a case of mistaken identity. I'm not a horse, I think. But at a moment like that, the distinction is academic. To the flies, I am a horse, a particularly pale, thin-skinned, succulent one, and lacking a horse's ability to quiver its skin in just one spot. In that moment, the sense of human separateness slips away.
This rather poetically written "Reader's Views" from yesterday's NYTimes, is beautiful to read. It's warm and fuzzy and feels nice.

But do we really want our unique place in creation erased by adopting the perspective of an insect? I don't, I don't care how well it is written.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory