Tuesday, July 05, 2005

 

To The Heart Of Matters

SmartChristian has really been cutting to the chase lately, pointing out repeatedly that it's not the program, but how well the program works. This time, he discusses fellowship.
Now I want to say that I'm not that interested in Christian fellowship per say, not at least how the modern church often understands and practices it, but instead give me BIBLICAL FRIENDSHIP.

I'm not interested in coffee fellowship time or fellowship events, just give me some true down-home biblical friends who I can trust and walk through life with.
I agree with that sentiment wholly -- I'd rather sit with one good friend all night than go to a party or event any day of the week.

When it comes to fellowship events, I think they are a two edged sword. Sometimes, we have to go to them to find the people who can be our good friends, but people often use those events as a shield to prevent real intimacy.

I have found that real friendship is something that requires genuine effort. After that fellowship event, I have to make the effort to call those that I think might be friends and issue an invitation for something less crowded and more relaxed. I also find that I have to be prepared for lots of rejection.

People are afraid of genuine friendship, it requires way too much self-revelation. It's not unlike growing in the Christian faith. Many are called, few are willing.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory