Tuesday, July 19, 2005

 

Why I Rarely Blog California Politics

When I grew up in Indiana, Republicans ruled the roost -- that changed not long after I left, but more on that in a minute. Elections were about as predictable as the moonrise. As a Republican it made me feel a bit like I was in the womb, but it made for really boring newspapers (nobody had even thought of blogging back then.)

California politics are very similar. Holy Coast said this yesterday
When you have 153 seats up for election and not one of them changes parties, there's something wrong. Legislative and congressional districts are not supposed to be guaranteed for life to any one party,
Indiana did change the Republican stronghold, as I say, not long after I left, and they did it the old fashioned way -- Evan Bayh ran one heck of a great campaign. Out here in CA, Arnold did well in the recall, but only because the dissatisfaction with Gray Davis was so immense that Mickey Mouse could have won had he chose to run. Almost from the beginning, on anything remotely substanative, Arnold has gotten flack.

But Arnold is a man of his word. He said he was going to change things, and he is doing whatever it takes -- which in this case means a special election and ballot initiatives to break the gerrymandering deadlock. Let me put it to you this way. In the small valley in which I live -- roughly 8,000 people -- we have parts of four state assembly districts and three state senate districts. I share an assembly district with people that live 40 miles away, through some of the most densly populated real estate in the country. See why there is a problem?

The Wall Street Journal had an editorial about the upcoming special election yesterday (subscription required)
But Californians keep resorting to direct democracy because their politicians are shielded from voter accountability. Mr. Schwarzenegger's determination to challenge this cozy status quo has made him the target of tens of millions of dollars in union-financed attack ads and his approval rating has fallen as a result. Taking reform to the voters is risky, but in doing so Arnold is simply keeping his word. If California wanted a risk-averse Governor, it would have stuck with Gray Davis.
I'm ponying up to help Arnold! I hope you will join me.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory