Thursday, August 18, 2005

 

Being A Competitive Christian

Rusty Kelley, over at Common Grounds Online, had an interesting piece yesterday about being a Christian and being in a competitive environment. He rightly concludes that competition and Christianity are not mutually exclusive, and notes that the desire to excel can push us more towards God.

Personally, I think the whole thing is based on a false dichotomy -- competition is not inherently sinful, which Rusty points out -- what is sinful is what we are willing to do to win the competition. What is sinful is putting winning ahead of obedience. What is sinful is harming another for the sake of victory.

I am always amazed that people fail to realize that God rarely, if ever, tells us what to do with our lives. Rather, He tells us how to do it. Think about that for a minute. God really does not dictate our professions to us -- He may equip us better for one than another, but I don't think He cares much if a drive race cars, or a flower cart. What He cares about is that whatever I do, He gets the glory. Whatever I do, I do in obedience to Him. Whatever I do, the fruits of His Spirit are evident.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory