Monday, August 22, 2005

 

Christian or Christendom?

Jollyblogger wrote a little while ago, based on his reading of Nancy Pearcy (in my reading pile -- I'll get there), that he both agrees and disagress with the thesis that the fastest growing churches are those that fail that are culturally distinct from the world around them. David rightly points to the counter exampels of the mega-churches whose apparent conformity seems to be their biggest drawing card.

Meanwhile, over at Eternal Perspectives, Mike is lamenting that he has allowed himself to coform too much not just to the world, but to the "church world."
In short, I have conformed to the world. Not just "the world," though: I've been conformed to the "Christian world" system. I left my cynicism at the gate of the kingdom, believing that there would be no need for it in the community of God's people. It never dawned on me that the values and priorities of the church might be harmful to my spiritual health.
Bottom line is this -- I get realy nervous talking about institutional matters. While uncomfortable with Mike's "freak" analogies, I agree with his sentiment wholeheartedly.
Perhaps I have been indoctrinated by the subtle, authoritative-but-not-biblical teachings of the church, but it has been my choice to follow. I am responsible, just like everyone else.
Christian institutions are two things and two things only -- by-product and tool. They are not reason, end , or purpose.

Much as I like this Pope, and I fully understand his point, this sort of thing kind of bothers me.
Pope Benedict, wrapping up a triumphant return to his German homeland, on Sunday urged young people to shun a "do-it-yourself" concept of religion where they can choose what they want and disregard the rest.
On the one hand he is calling people to radical and life-changing belief, but on the other he is cementing the power of his institution when he should be cemeting the Lord Jesus Christ.

For me, the answer to this dilemma is relatively straightforward -- it's all about priorities. When I do my work in church, I focus on people, I endeavor to place people, and the Lord always before the institution. I do what must be done to maintain and operate the institution, but it's kind of like keeping the furnace working -- it is not why I own the home.

I am not being as articulate here as I would like, that is because I have never fully resolved this tension in my life. I think it the great tension of Christianity. We cannot discard church, and yet, in my experience, it is the idol that most often replaces God. I think talking about it plainly is the best place to start. A tension acknowledged is a tension that can be managed.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory