Saturday, August 20, 2005

 

Comic Art

Now that the schedule has resumed, it's back to my favorite weekly feature. I want to continue with my examination of the "Honorable Mentions" of my Expert Witness post over at Evangelical Outpost. Today we'll look at Joe Kubert.

Joe has been in the game for a very long time, but is still working, like this bit he did with Stan Lee just a couple of years ago. The idea was to have Lee "reimagine" the best DC heroes, which he did with mixed results, but the art is undeniably good.

But it's Joe's older stuff that I remember from when I was a kid like this Flash. Sometimes, older characters like the Flash, designed with the then significant limitation of reproduction technology look best in those old settings.

For many, Joe may be best remembered for "creating" DC's Tarzan comic. While never my fav, it was quite successful, and quite easy on the eyes.

But to my mind, Kubert was never better than with Hawkman -- he essentially designed the modern "silver age" look of the character which is one of the most visually stunning ever created. In my collection of statues of comic heroes, perhaps the most beautiful is a Hawkman based on Kubert. Kubert's Hawkman is nothing short of stunning.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory