Thursday, September 01, 2005

 

Personal Stories From Katrina

As I have said, we have word that all my family in the path of Katrina is alive and uninjured. That's the good news, no that's the only news. It is simply too hard to get information out right now for us to know details -- needless to say, that's pretty frustrating.

The first hand accounts I am reading are amazing -- there are two I would like to mention. The New Orleans Times-Picayune is running a blog at nola.com that is great. Tuesday night they carried a post by columnist Chris Rose about his "escape."
We left my in-laws behind in Picayune. They wouldn't come with us. Self-sufficient country folk; sometimes you can't tell 'em nothing.

We don't know what happened to them. My wife's dad and her brother and their families: No word. Only hope.

Like so many people around the country wondering what happened to those still unaccounted for; we just don't know. That's the hardest part.

If you take the images you?ve seen on TV and picked up off the radio and internet, and you try to apply what you know to the people and places you don't know about, well, the mind starts racing, assumptions are made and well - it consumes you.
Boy do I know that feeling. Even now that I know everyone is "OK" I am really wondering how "OK" they really are. My cousins are very strongly civically minded people, much I as I would like to get them out of the mess to here in SoCal where they can relax, I am fairly certain they would not come -- they will stay and drain, and dig, and build, and re-build tirelessly. They will work until they cannot work anymore, then somehow, they will work some more.

Then Al Mohler linked to this CNN piece
Harvey Jackson, of Biloxi, Mississippi, told CNN affiliate WKRG-TV that he believed his wife was killed after she was ripped from his grasp when their home split in half.

"She told me, 'You can't hold me,' ... take care of the kids and the grandkids," he said, sobbing.
Yeah, it sounds like it's right out of a Hollywood script, but it's not -- it's real and you really have to admire people whose last thoughts are of others....

There will stories like this by the dozens. May God care for all of them.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory