Monday, September 12, 2005

 

Today's Trip Pic

Our trip culminated, as I have said, in Copenhagen. I found this city quite charming. It lacked the splendor of a St Petersburg, but was quite hospitable and enjoyable.




Hans Christian Anderson is the first thing that comes to mind for most people at the mention of Denmark and this statue of the Little Mermaid marks the harbor. Fortunately, no one from Disney was anywhere in the vicinity when we visited.

Given the fame this statue enjoys, I have to say it was a bit of a disappointment. It is fairly small, and where I had expected something in the middle of the harbor, it is very close to shore. More charming than it is majestic, it is nonetheless worth the viewing.

The famous Tivoli Gardens is a bit more garish than I had anticipated, but fun nonetheless. What I found most remarkable is somewhat illustrated by this picture -- the juxtaposition of the garishness in the garden with the architecture without. A bit like placing Disneyland where the ancient agora is in Athens -- oops, I shouldn't say that, someone at Disney might get ideas.

Most student of science know of Tyco Brahe. This is one of the places he worked, and I thought it was cool -- even if entirely too urban to be of much practical use.

Tomorrow we will look a little more at Copenhagen and then our trip shall be concluded.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory