Monday, September 19, 2005

 

You, And Your Worldview

When he stops ranting and starts writing, I love the Internet Monk. This is one of his best in a long time -- it concerns the current movement in developing a Christian "worldview"

Disclaimer: Nancy Pearcey's book on the subject has been pretty widely discussed in recent months, usually favorably. It is in my "to be read" pile along with about 20 other books. I'll get there, but for the record I have not as of yet read it and any coments I make here are general and in no way a specific response to that or any other work on the subject.

Here is iMonk's money quote
My contention is that the term "worldview," while useful as a summary of major components of the faith, is a poor and deeply flawed term for the sum total of the faith.
Amen, and Amen.

To me the bottom line is this -- "worldview" is an intellectual exercise, but Christian faith is a totality of being. I posted yesterday about how radical faith should really be -- radical faith does not merely change how you look at and think about things, it changes WHO YOU ARE.

Jesus did not die on the cross so I would think differently about any particular issue or idea. He died on the cross to transform me into the glory for which I was inteneded upon creation.

A Christian worldview is a consequence of being a Christian, but it is in no way what it means to be a Christian. As the idea gains popularity, like many popular ideas in Christianity, it runs the risk of replacing Christianity itself. The distinction here is important.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory