Sunday, October 23, 2005

 

The Line Between Faith And Politics

I doubt there is any hotter debate in the God blogsphere than the line and relationship between, our faith, our church and our politics. And more specifically how blogging fits into space between them.

Lots of people worry about people like James Dobson going too far. I tend to think Dobson treads the line fairly well, but the Gad(d)about has found some people that definitely cross it.
The people of "Christian Exodus" are drop-dead serious about "retaking" America one blue state at a time. They are appealing to conservative Christian Republicans around the country to move to two select northern South Carolina counties to begin a Christian political revival.
That's a bit much, in fact, it's downright inappropriate. I honestly do not think Christians are called to take political power as Christians. Christians should serve in politics, but that's a different thing. Matt said it best
This kind of movement doesn't surprise me at all. Christians feel they can no longer affect the world they live in because they've been promised something that I don't think God ever promises: Political power. And that is exactly what this group is seeking to "regain." It's disappointing.
I'm beginning to worry that blogging helps blur the line, particularly blogs like mine where I blog about both politics and faith. I do it intentionally because I really do think Christians should be politically active.

At GodBlogCon we got into a heated discussion about the abortion issue and precisely how active we should be in overturning Roe v Wade. At one point I said it is important to remember that if the gospel really penetrated our society abortion would end with Roe v Wade in place. I think that line got more "Amens" than any other in the conference. Does that mean we should not work to overturn Roe v Wade? Of course not, it is simply a statement of priorities.

Anyway, do you think blogs like this blur the line or help define it? Maybe I should create a "Statement on Faith and Politics" and leave in the sidebar for permanent ready reference? What do you think?

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory