Sunday, October 09, 2005

 

A New Breed Of Hero

Read this post from Blackfive. It's the story of a Purple Heart recepient
....Sitting in the second to last seat in the back, on the right side of the truck...She remembers talking with the female Seabee next to her, when a series of combined explosions violently lifted the truck from both sides.

"When it blew up, we all flew back and then forward again in our seats," said Liberty. "I looked at the girl next to me and saw her bounce up and down in the flames. I just closed my eyes and waited for it to end. I felt myself being thrown in the air, but my eyes remained shut. When I impacted the ground, I realized nothing hurt. I felt everything that was happening, but it was like there was a bubble around me, because when I hit the ground and woke up, I felt no pain. I looked at my hands and saw the skin hanging off my left pinky finger, but it still didn't hurt. Not then."
It's an incredible story and she is a true hero. I must be forgiven my sexism here, but I find the story far more disturbing than most accounts I have read because Liberty is a very attractive and frail looking woman -- Blackfive includes a picture.

I cannot and will not take away form CPL Liberty's heroism and dedicated service, but I look at the picture and wonder.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory