Monday, October 10, 2005

 

Now Things Are Going To Get Interesting

Ever wondered why a city as small as New Orleans has a pro football team? They've never been other than a minor league baseball city and when the NBA comes to town, they quickly relocate to greener pastures. And how can a city, such a small city, with such an incredibly mediocre football team host the Super Bowl every five years like clockwork? The answer is fairly straightforward -- what there is to do in town when there isn't football. NOLA gives the fans somthing to do when the field is empty.

When disaster struck a few weeks ago, after my worries about friends, family, and people in general, the first thing that struck my mind was that if I had any sense at all, I'd start pulling together the capital to build a huge, modern indoor football stadium and acquire a franchise for --- Las Vegas, the only place in the country with "better" off-field entertainment than NOLA.

Two things stopped me. First, Vegas is an insider's town, so that would be a difficult project to pull off for me. Secondly, football, despite the fact more money is bet on it than the rest of sports combined, works pretty hard to stay away for the appearance of cross-pollination with gambling.

I should have listened to myself more closely. Check this out.
Mayor C. Ray Nagin hopes to attract tourists and their cash back to his ravaged city with an "out-of-the-box" plan to install Las Vegas-style gambling in the city's biggest hotels.
The barriers between the NFL and gambling have been lowering in recent years, but this would constitute tearing the wall down.

I'm still an outsider (not to mention all the whole morally questionable angles associated with this), so I'm going to leave this idea lay, but I know Vegas and it's insiders can get that stadium built a franchise bought a whole lot faster than NOLA can put itself back together. Here's hoping the Vegas guys will cut me in for a percentage for given them this idea.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory