Tuesday, October 11, 2005

 

Reading The Whole Bible

This is a great post from Sheep's Crib. (And not just because he links to me not once, but twice!) It's about the pervasive sickness that seems to infest the church these days. I really love this point
I'm a card carrying member of the Revelation of God movement (aka: the Bible is all I need for faith and practice; if I'll just study it).
John illustrates his point very well by quoting extensively in the post from one of the more underappreciated books of Scripture -- Ecclesiates. I love that book and for many of the reasons that John cites in his post. It is a book of the Bible I try to make sure I read through at least once a year.

There is one point John makes that I think needs a little clarification
For some reason we've spiritually morphed the bible into a "Law Book," when in fact it is and always has been a "Grace Book."
John comes from a more conservative denominational place than I do, so that likely explains our difference here. My personal experience is almost the precise opposite, that grace has been relied upon to the point that considerations of the behavioral aspects of Christianity are simply ignored. All the symptoms John lists in his post (extra-marital sex, drug use, etc., etc., etc.) not only happen but are routinely accepted as "grace opportunities."

In the end, I think both approaches are wrong, and represent opposite ends of a spectrum, the middle of which is where we are called to reside. It seems the church lives on a pendulum swinging from one extreme to the other, never coming to rest in the middle. Given the multitude of Christian expression available these days one finds different expressions on different places in the swing.

I sure woud like to grab all those pendulums and stop them in the middle, but that is the Lord's job. All I can do is ask Him to do it. Will you join me?

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory