Friday, October 28, 2005

 

Turning To Prayer

Routine readers know I have had a hard week. What to do with a hard week?

I pray.

Which means that this post from Tod Bolsinger really hit home. Tod places the Lord's Prayer into context and says some really wonderful things about prayer in general.
Jesus is mindful that most prayers fall into two categories, attempts to impress people and attempts to manipulate God. So many of us approach prayer as if it nothing but either ceremony or or an opportunity to ask the Divine Genie to fulfill our wishes.
If I could summarize the primary thrust of my walk with Jesus for many years now it is to make prayer a real conversation. While I value the liturgical aspects of prayer and petition is an important part of my prayer life, what I want most from prayer is to sense, in some way, the presence of God. I want to have a conversation with my Lord - I want to learn from Him.
Kingdom praying is not about our fulfillment, but our transformation. In Kingdom praying, we seek only the face and favor of the King. In Kingdom praying we focus our attention on the God who knows what we need even before we ask.
As I seek comfort in prayer, that comfort lies not in God assuaging my fears or granting my desires, rather it lies in my discovery of His sufficience.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory