Friday, November 04, 2005

 

Allegorical or Thematic?

That's an important question as you approach the Chronicles of Narnia. Few bits of literature are closer to my heart, and I anticipate the upcoming film with great hope and angst. One thing I am not worried about is the "Christian message."

According to this post form Mark Daniels, the stories are not allegory.
The person who sets herself the goal of identifying what every character or circumstance "represents" in Christian truth or the Biblical witness will soon understand the futility of the undertaking and rob themselves of the joy that goes with simply letting their tales come to them as is. (Although there are oodles of Biblical allusions.)
I have to agree, they are stories, not scripture. Which means, I don't think the books, or the movie are any more evangelism tools than other art with Christian themes - Crime and Punishment - for example.

That is one burden for the movie I am glad I don't have. I just hope the movie doesn't stink.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory