Monday, November 28, 2005

 

Alright, I've Had It

The Christian blogosphere has gotten terribly ugly lately. I refuse to link to any of it. The only link I will provide is to Adrian Warnock, because his post is some rules that I basically agree with on how to handle this sort of thing. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can find everything you need from there.

It has gotten personal. How can a blog discussion get personal? Most of us have never met each other for crying out loud. Some share more of themselves in their posting than others, but that is still a far cry from actually knowing each other. I've gone out of my way to meet Christian bloggers whenever I can, and I still would not claim to know those I have met really well - a dinner here, a Skype call there, a few emails, makes them all good acquaintances, even friends, but know them well? -- that takes years. How can anyone blogging presume to make personal judgments about someone they do not know or just barely know.

More importantly, how can we presume that much importance in what we say in these blogs, so much as to go ad hominum to defend it? I for one refuse to believe that anything I write, no matter how well researched and considered, is so vitally important, and so definitively true that I am willing to go to war over it. It's just words and ideas from the mind of an imperfect creature of God. I am not defined by my ideas, I am defined by my Savior.

Which brings me to the final point. Blogging is being Christians in a very public way. The world of Christians is very foreign to many people. Squabbles in the walls of the church is one thing. It is hidden from the greater public, but not here. EVERYONE sees this. Most non-Christians ignore us, and many Christians think we are a bunch of misfits that seek refuge in a virtual world because we don't fit in the real one. Things like this do nothing to change that perception.

So ask yourself this, has the debate of the last week or so let the light of Jesus shine through? Will someone just dropping in find something attractive and interesting and inspiring? If not -- KNOCK IT OFF.

If it is so important to you that you cannot keep your mouth shut -- take it to email, or Skype, or get in the car and go see the person.
Eph 4:25-26 - Therefore, laying aside falsehood, speak truth, each one of you, with his neighbor, for we are members of one another. Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger,

Matt 5:23-25 - "If therefore you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar, and go your way; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering. Make friends quickly with your opponent at law while you are with him on the way, in order that your opponent may not deliver you to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown into prison.
All I can say is remember -- Jesus matters in this whole thing a lot more than we do. We'd do well to remember that, whether we are bearing our souls, discussing theology, or just cracking wise, and certainly when we are in dispute.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory