Friday, November 11, 2005

 

Purpose...Goals...Success

Holy Coast is wondering what makes a successful church.
In the paper was an article about a pastor and his wife who are celebrating 30 years of ministry at the same church (I'm not going to name the church). The paper described the pastor's faithfulness in the ministry, and I have no reason to doubt that it was true.

However, something caught my eye as I read the article. The story mentioned that the church had at one time grown to about 100, but was now running about 60...after thirty years. That to me, is not the sign of a successful ministry.
My quick, snappy, cynical answer is that Jesus only had a consistent congregation of 12. For a longer more thoughtful answer let me refer you to this this post at Reformation Theology.
With lists set for Christians with the goal toward growth, whether it be lists of purpose, or lists of achievement, what happens in a subtle manner is that we Christians begin focusing on ourselves, our success (or failures) with regard to the list or the program, and we can take our eyes off our only Savior.
Which brings me back to my snappy cynical answer. The tweleve created all that we know as the church today. Over the centuries there have been millions and billions of people touched for Christ. Who knows who is in that 60 and who knows what that person will do. If our pastor of 60 has raised up one Billy Graham, can he be called a failure?
Isa 55:8 - "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways," declares the LORD.
God measures success in ways we may never comprehend.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory