Tuesday, November 22, 2005

 

Well, It Is A Little Silly

I rarely say anything about Intelligent Design on this blog. I said pretty much everything I have say a long time ago. But, this piece from Charles Krauthammer in Sunday's WaPo makes me want to say a little more.

Krauthammer, while agreeing with me that faith and evolution are not fundamentally at odds, is rather insulting to the ID crowd -- someplace I am unwilling to go.

Here is what I will say -- both sides of this issue are silly. Both ask more of their schools of thought and their intellectual disciplines than are really there. Krauthammer:
Neither saw science as an enemy of religion. On the contrary. "He believed he was doing God's work," James Gleick wrote in his recent biography of Newton. Einstein saw his entire vocation -- understanding the workings of the universe -- as an attempt to understand the mind of God.
We blur the lines between the two (science and religion) generally out of conceit, prejudice towards that which we do not understand, or simple ignorance.

Science, because it is a creation of man, will always have flexible rules, but religion is different, it has some unchangable ground rules. Among them are priorities. God is a priority - His person. That person has revealed Himself in creation and, in Christ. The revelatory nature of creation is under attack, but the revelation in Christ is so much fuller, so much more complete, and so much more undeniable that I find I don't care about revelation in creation all that much. I certainly don't think it's worth going to intellectual war over.

In some ways it's a diversionary attack. While we worry about evolution, far greater evil wanders the land. It is to that greater evil that I feel my energies must be expended.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory