Tuesday, November 01, 2005

 

Well, This Seems to Be What Everybody Wanted

Well as conservative judicial nominees go, they don't come much more solid than Sam Alito. I know that I should be a trooper here and get real busy, real fast to back this nomination, like Hugh says I should. I am heartened that 2 of the Republican side of the gang of 14 say this nomination is not filibusterable. But I'm worried. I don't trust the Dems, and, frankly, I don't trust all our people either, particularly McCain, Snowe, Chaffee and a couple others.

Upon the announcement this morning, I saw a filibuster in our future. Some of these quotes (HT: Just A Woman) seemed to confirm my worry.
"Rather than selecting a nominee for the good of the nation and the court, President Bush has picked a nominee whom he hopes will stop the massive hemorrhaging of support on his right wing. This is a nomination based on weakness, not strength." _ Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass.

"President Bush put the demands of his far-right political base above Americans' constitutional rights and legal protections by nominating federal appeals court Judge Samuel Alito to replace retiring Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor." _ Ralph Neas, president of the liberal People For the American Way.

"It is sad that the president felt he had to pick a nominee likely to divide America instead of choosing a nominee in the mold of Sandra Day O'Connor, who would unify us. This controversial nominee, who would make the court less diverse and far more conservative, will get very careful scrutiny from the Senate and from the American people." _ Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.
These people will not concede defeat rapidly or easily. Hugh is proposing a blitzkrieg and I think that will help us win the initial battle but, I am thinking of this more in terms of the Pacific war, not the European one. I think we are contemplating the invasion of Japan here, with the expectation that every man, woman, and child will fight to the death. As when we started our planning for that war, we do not currently have the atomic bomb in our arsenal. I hope we can get one built by the time we need it.

This one's going to be for the long haul. Forgive me if I pace myself.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory