Tuesday, November 01, 2005

 

What Do You Know?

Jollyblogger remembered Reformation Day in his post yesterday. As I read that great post, one verse rang thorugh my mind over and over
1 Cor 2:2 - For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
David puts it this way
The reformed tradition reminded me that no amount of self-striving on my part could enable me to win the battle against indwelling sin. Salvation and sanctification are by grace, through faith, because of Christ from first to last.
I love his post, but I am not quite sure how to react to it, I have a couple of possible reactions. First of all, David just sort of acts like a "pig in slop" just a happy camper in his happiest place -- I am tempted to join him.

But then there is a question that runs through my mind, "Is there a difference between the 'reformed' school and the 'evangelical' school, and if so what is it?" Now I realize "evangelical" may have the slipperiest definition of any word in the faith discussion, but I am asking on a personal level. I consider myself both, but if there is a big and significant difference between the two, then I need to jettison the "evangelical" label.

And while I am asking questions, here is another one. Because I believe it's all about what Jesus did (making me reformed) I also believe he works through other traditions and institutions than just those that claim the reformed label. He's God, He can work through whatever and do so however He chooses. So why is any label important at all? In David's great testimony, he talks about how reformed thought changed his faith life, but according to reformed thought, it didn't, rather Christ did. I guess my question boils down to, "Will the elect always believe in election?" I am all but certain that not everyone that believes in election is, in fact, of the elect but that does not make the converse true.

All of which me back to the place where I said David was -- the "pig in slop" place. Sometimes it's just best to roll around in Christ.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Feed

Blogotional

eXTReMe Tracker

Blogarama - The Blog Directory